Friday, December 27, 2013

Today I was teaching Mathematics to my two younger brothers. We were working two-step reading problems.  The problems were something like the following example: 
         

           What is the cost of 1 1/4 lbs. of cheese at $2.16 per lb.


While working out examples for them on the blackboard, I somehow wandered from Arithmetic to Reasoning.  I have been giving much thought of late on the subject - particularly in the area of Apologetics.  Little wonder!  :)

I will replicate for you what my Math students turned their attention toward for the remaining twenty minutes of my class period. 

Problem:

            1 1/4 multiplied by $2.16 = ?

Circular Reasoning:
               
                1 1/4 multiplied by $2.16 = ?
 >             1 1/4 =  5/4 = 4 divided by 5 = 1 1/4
 >             1 1/4 multiplied by $2.16 = ?

We are left with the same premise/conclusion and data points that we began with when using this method of reasoning.  Remaining are also the same questions unanswered.  (In my class, I demonstrated this point by working the circle over again until they reacted.)

I am thinking namely of the presuppositional method of argumentation in apologizing for the existence of God, the inerrancy of scripture, etc.  The conclusion is essentially a restatement of the original data and/or thesis.  We are left with the problem unanswered.

 

I left the room briefly.  While I was away, my little opportunist took the liberty to take a sneak-peak at the teachers manual that lay open on my desk.  When I came back, he immediately informed me that he had the answer.  He did have the answer, but could give no rational defense for it.


So it is with the “confessional method” of argumentation.  If we do not subscribe to the “faith-without-reasoning” belief, we can not be satisfied with the answers that this argument gives.


To find a solution for our problem, we had to consider the mode of the numeral (i.e. decimal, improper faction, etc.).  We also had to take into account that we were working with two separate systems (monetary verses nominal). Had we neglected these factors, we would have ended with an alternate incorrect solution.
 
 Alternate Solution:
                      1 1/4 times 2.16 =

    >              1.25 times 2.16 =
    >              368.00

Rather pricy?!  Pay if you will; I’ll bypass that method.

Correct Solution:

1 1/4 multiplied by $2.16 =

>              4 divided by 2.16 = .54
>              $2.16 + .54 =
>              $2.70

Above we have utilized in our correct solution both deduction and induction.  Moreover, we were able to come to the answer not by the given data solely, but also due to the fact that we could transfer one system of calculations over to another system, thus solving for inferred information.

We can be intelligent.  We can come to and give forth intelligent answers. After all, were we not created in the likeness of an intelligent Creator?  Whether we are discussing the weather or other things more important, let us not forget this fact.  :)

 


 
 
 









     

No comments:

Post a Comment