Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Critical Thinking: A disciplined approach to receiving information


(I am not an authority on thinking clearly and precisely about things that I am in receipt of all of the time.  Nevertheless, it behooved me to consider the following steps in analyzing and interpreting information imparted to me.  If I can systemize a thing, I can understand it.  If I can understand a thing, I will enjoy and commiserate it.  If I identify with something, then I can apply it.  

If your brain works in similar fashion, perhaps this simple outline will do you good.)

 

Whether we are considering products, meeting people, or evaluating claims, critical thinking should be employed before we except and settle a thought as fact. Critical thinking is by definition a disciplined approach to receiving and to accepting/rejecting information.  Here are a few steps to implement so that we can utilize this essential method of thinking in our everyday lives. 

1)      ASK QUESTIONS

What is the bottom line? What issue does this address/resolve? Who benefits?

2)      EXAMINE EVIDENCE

Look to past history. The current situation is what? Is the statement accurate? Is it researchable? Be skeptical!

3)      TRADE PERSPECTIVES

Look at both sides. Walk a mile in their shoes.  (You’ll be a mile further down the road, and you’ll have their shoes.)

4)      ANALYZE BIAS & ASSUMPTIONS

Who is the source of the info? What is their background? Their view system? Their agenda?

5)      AVOID EMOTION & PERSONAL DESIRES

Just because we want something to be or not to be doesn’t change the facts…but it can taint our perceptions.  With as much as lies within you, take an objective stand-point and stick with it!

 

 
**One last side note, critical thinking is not negative thinking.  To think realistically, we must weigh the accounts of truth and error.  Don’t believe anything that cannot withstand a good argument.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment